I recenlty added a vanity url shortener to my domain, I first wanted to build it myself, but that would have required me to have a Wordpress installed, added a plugin or two and or write my own mechanism to handle the shortening… long story short, it would have been a hassle.
So I decided to go the lazy way, bit.ly now allows you to add your own subdomain/domain to it and make pretty pretty short links from that.
Here’s a simple how to:
- Log in to your bit.ly account
- Click the menu button
- Click the Settings item
- Click the Advanced Settings item
- Click the Branded Short Domains item
- Add as instructed the CNAME or A-record to your dns
- Wait for it to be verified (took me a couple a mins)